The cost of printing and mailing The Mycophile continues to rise. NAMA spends more than twice what we charge for this service. Except for people who have already paid for a print membership for 2015, as of November 1, 2014, we will be asking for $15 per year for a hard copy black and white subscription to The Mycophile, except for subscriptions outside North Amercia, where mailing costs are even higher. This is in addition to your membership dues. This change applies to all member categories, including Lifetime members.
By sending publications electronically, we have lowered our costs, and we're passing the savings along to you in 2015.
$25 members of affiliated clubs (electronic)
$40 members of affiliated clubs (hard copy)
$30 individual/family membership (electronic)
$45 individual/family membership (hard copy)
$30 individual/household membership outside North America (electronic)
$55 individual/household membership outside North America (hard copy)
$15 student membership
$60 sustaining membership
$500 life membership
$15 one year subscription to print (hard copy).
Dues must be paid in US Dollars only!
The North American Mycological Association (NAMA) is a non-profit organization of professional and amateur mycologists with over 78 affiliated mycological societies in the United States, Canada and Mexico. See details below for membership information, how to join through an affiliated club, etc.
- NAMA is committed and dedicated to the promotion of scientific and educational activities related to fungi.
- NAMA supports the protection of natural areas and their biological integrity.
- NAMA advocates the sustainable use of mushrooms as a resource and endorse the responsible mushroom collecting that does not harm the fungi or their habitats.
Why you should join NAMA:
- Increase your knowledge of mushrooms and other fungi.
- Keep informed about activities in the field of mycology.
- Be in contact with people who have a similar interest in mycology, whether it is taxonomy, ecology, toxicity, mycophagy or the many other practical uses of fungi.
What NAMA Does:
- Conferences — Holds an annual conference/foray in different parts of North America, often with short courses in mycology, always with lectures by professional mycologists.
- Regional forays — Sponsors intimate gatherings limited to 40 NAMA members where learning and social time are encouraged.
- Newsletter — Publishes The Mycophile, which gives mycological news and reports, notice of events of interest to members, reviews of recent books, and poison information.
- Journal — Publishes McIlvainea, a peer reviewed journal, with scientific papers on all aspects of fungi, toxicology reports, and topics of general interest - with articles by leading professional and amateur mycologists.
- Photo Contest — Conducts an annual photo contest and publishes the results.
- Educational Programs — Provides teaching kits and activities for K-12 grade levels and professionally produced CDs for club use.
- Scholarship — NAMA funds an annual fellowship with the Mycological Society of America to promising graduate students in mycology.
- Speakers Bureau — Maintains a list of over 50 speakers who are available to give programs for affiliated clubs.
- Toxicology — Provides expertise in mushroom poisioning information on the web and through a group of identifiers for doctors and veterinarians.
- Directories — Publishes an annual directory of members and mushroom clubs.
- Discussion groups — One for members and one for those interested in mushroom cultivation.
There is much more on the NAMA website: www.namyco.org including the only updated directory of mushroom clubs in North America, a comprehensive section on mushroom cultivation, a calendar of upcoming events, and more.
Joining NAMA through an Affiliated Club
An Affiliated Club provides its members the option to join NAMA at a discounted annual rate.
Those choosing to join NAMA through an Affiliated Club should contact that club directly for details. You may pay dues online or send dues directly to the NAMA Membership Secretary. Be sure to include your club name to receive the discounted rate.
Note: Membership covers up to two adults living at the same address.
Joining NAMA directly
Send your name, address (zip + 4 please); home, work and cell phone number(s), email address, and $30 (for unaffiliated members inside or outside North America) wanting electronic delivery of The Mycophile to the address above. Annual membership dues outside North America are $55 for mail delivery of our publications. Dues are payable in US dollars.
Become a NAMA Affiliated Club
Affiliated club dues are $30 or $0.12 per member (whichever is larger). Clubs with over 250 members pay $0.12 cents per member. Please contact Ann Bornstein for more information. She will need the club name, address, website, email and phone contact.
Contribute to NAMA
NAMA is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Contributions to support the educational activities of NAMA are always welcome and are deductible as allowed by law. Gifts of any amount may be made for special occasions, such as birthdays and anniversaries, and for memorials.
Special categories include:
|Friend of NAMA||$500 – $999|
|Benefactor||$1,000 – $4,999|
|Patron||$5,000 and up|
Send contributions to:
Herbert Pohl, NAMA Treasurer
5 Oak Grove Road
Flemington, NJ 08822